|The original tramcar sheds, offices and workshops at St James, together with a power station at Castle Street were inaugurated on the 21st July 1904. The power station at Castle St burned down in 1919 and current was subsequently purchased from the Northampton Electric Light and Power Co.|
Towards the end of the twenties, motor buses were taking over from the trams and the bus garage was extended in 1928 to accommodate the expanding fleet.
The expansion of the bus fleet and demise of the trams meant that the garaging and overhaul facilities were both congested and inadequate. The possibilities of expansion had led to the take-over of the old "tin" school at St James. In January 1937 the Council approved the construction of a new garage with mess room, recreation room, and engine test room; together with alterations to existing garages and workshops the total cost was £24,606.
| Work was well under way on the new bus garage by the latter part of 1938, buses just being visible within although work was still in progress on the buildings in the picture above. All the pictures below were taken on Saturday 14th September 2013; the very last day of operations by First Bus. For some reason, a few of the interior shots are slighly out of focus, possibly due to lower light levels. They portray a sense of desolation and abandonment, capturing the depot in it's last death throes. Kev.
You can also view a slide-show version of these photos by clicking here.
|Click thumbnails for a larger image(Camera used: Samsung Galaxy S4 Smartphone - 12M pixels)|